A very informative video that says a lot that many do not know about our prison system. Just one more reason why our laws are in desperate need of modernization based on data and facts, not “what we think is right”. The stakes are too high for too many people not to move forward in a new direction.
1. Three “strikes” and you get life in jail. Even for trivial crimes, Leandro Andrade is serving 2 consecutive life sentences for shoplifting 9 video tapes with a value of $153
2a. 1% of Americans are in jail(2.3million)
2b. On a per capita bases this equates to twice as many in South Africans, more than 3 times Iran and 6 times China’s prison population.
3. No society in history has imprisoned as many people as America.
4. 1 in 30 men aged 20 – 34 in in prison.
5.1 in 9 black males are in prison.
6. There are more 17 year old black males in prison than in college.
7. 5% of the world are American…25% of all prisoners are American.
8. America prohibits importing goods made through forced labor or prisoners…
…American prisons produce 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet proof vests,
9. 93% of domestically used paints, 36% of home appliances, 21% of office furniture, which allows America to compete with factories in Mexico.
10. You get solitary confinement if you refuse to work!